Monday, June 13, 2016



Paperback: 432 pages
Publisher: Tundra Books
Release Date: June 7, 2016
Source of my copy: publisher
Series: The Rephaim #4
Synopsis
Suddenly, Gaby remembers everything.

For a year she believe she was a backpacker chilling out in Pandanus Beach. Working at the library. Getting over the accident that killed her twin brother. Then Rafa came to find her and Gaby discovered her true identity as Gabe: one of the Rephaim. Over a hundred years old. Half angel, half human, all demon-smiting badass and hopelessly attracted to the infuriating Rafa.

Now she knows who faked her memories, and how—and why it’s all hurtling towards a massive showdown between the forces of heaven and hell.

More importantly, she remembers why she’s spent the last ten years wanting to seriously damage Rafa.




After zooming through the third book Shimmer of the Rephaim series by Paula Weston, I was more than eager to get my hands on Burn, the final installment. I was finally going to get the answers to all of my burning questions to Gaby and her friends' world as well as get that awesome conclusion I've been waiting for since I started reading this series a couple of years ago. Although didn't Burn quite live up to my admittedly extremely high expectations, all the action, excitement, and suspense that characterizes this series were there, causing me to give it:

As my sister mentioned in her review of Shimmer (her review), its ending was one of those that put you at the very edge of your seat, making you immediately want more. So, when I finished Shimmer and began Burn, I had high expectations and held an assumption that they will be all met because this series has been amazing so far. In the end, they were more or less met. 

As it had been since the start of the series, the Rephaim storyline was full of twists and turns made entertaining with a ton of battles, banters, jests, and revelations in its final installment. I enjoyed learning more and more about the pasts of Gaby and her brother Jude and their relationships with the various characters. 

The Rephaim crew uncovered so much in this final book, the connecting of dots was overwhelming--in a good way. I loved every moment of it. However, the action and suspense in Burn didn't grab my attention as much as they did in Shimmer, which was a bit of a letdown. There were times in Burn when I would pause from reading and then be reluctant to pick the book back up again because I just wasn't feeling that attachment I had when I read Shimmer. Nonetheless, everything was there--the crazy climaxes, the shocking secrets, the angsty arguments, and the steamy smexy scenes--and Burn was a finale I couldn't pass up for anything. Despite my bit of disconnect from it (which may have to do with my mood while I was reading it), I really liked it and think it an overall good conclusion to the Rephaim series.

Speaking of a good conclusion, I thought the ending in Burn was befitting for the whole Rephaim series. Author Paula Weston didn't tie up everything in a pretty pink bow and instead insinuated there was much more ahead of all the characters now with their newfound knowledge. I liked how she left some things to readers' imagination, but still gave us a satisfying conclusion.

I was glad to see all of the characters get some form of closure at the end of Burn. Even though I had my own suspicions and feelings of distrust toward some of them, they each deserved some respite after all the violence and drama they went through against demons and with each other. There was even some ships coming together in the end, and I was so happy with each of them as they were couples I'd been rooting for since I began this series. I hope that, in that imaginary world where all fictional characters live well after a book has concluded, their relationships work out and they grow stronger together to become better individuals. However, I honestly don't want Paula Weston to pull a Cassandra Clare and continue with more books in the series with the same characters because I really think how things ended in Burn was enough. I'll miss Gaby and the gang and being in their world, but I was fine with where they were at in the end and I would prefer things to end there for these characters.

All in all, Burn was a great read. Although I didn't quite connect with it in comparison to the previous books in the series, it's still an excellent conclusion to a very entertaining, riveting and awesome series. If you're a fan of the Rephaim series, Burn is a must-read for you--you have to pick it up ASAP! If you love paranormal reads, what are you waiting for? PICK THIS SERIES UP!! If you're looking for a series to obsess over, this series is a good one to pick up. It's thrilling and exciting and you'll get hooked. And the best thing? All the books are out! 

Basically, I want everyone to pick this series up (there are four books: Shadows, Haze, Shimmer, and Burn, which you're gonna wanna binge read) because it's awesome and, trust me, you won't regret it.



**I kept things very vague on the specifics about Burn for readers who haven't read the novel or the series, but I'd LOVE to chat with you about all the things. Please comment below, but label any spoilers so other readers do not get spoiled. Happy reading! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.